Thursday, October 12, 2006

And now, the 1912 project

So here's the scoop:

My Great-Grandfather was an engineer who for a while worked for a company that built primitive deep sea diving equipment. In 1912, he was sent on a trip to meet with a number of European companies. This trip holds a special place in family memory for two reasons:
  1. His wife and children were, for reasons lost to time, not allowed to go. The amount of anger that Great-Grandma had about this is legendary.
  2. As part of the itinerary, the return journey was to be on the Titanic. Not the maiden voyage, but one a few months after. The Titanic's maiden voyage was taking place as Great Grandpa was crossing in the other direction, and the two ships crossed within sight of each other.
A few years ago, as my grandparents house was being emptied, I was asked if I would be interested in a package of souvenirs from this trip. I jumped at this chance: he was an excellent and obsessive photographer, and the photos he took on this trip must have been incredible.

Someone else in the family got the photos.

What I got is in some ways even more cool. I got his receipts.

It looks like every piece of paper that he pulled out of his luggage went into big manila envelope. Ticket stubs, train schedules, menus, maps, brochures, whatever. I know those bits because they're the same sort of things that I pull out of my suitcase when I come home from a trip.

Here's the deal. I'm going to scan everything and post it here, with as much commentary as I can manage.

Bon Voyage!

No comments: