Thursday, October 12, 2006

A boat through New York

A tour brochure. I already posted this on my main blog, but it's part of the package and already scanned, so here it is again:

At the time of the trip, the Flatiron Building was only ten years old. I have no idea if he actually went on the tour.


The reason why I put this up before is in response to a post on BoingBoing about "poorism" -- tours of slums. The BoingBoing post links to an article that shows a number of tours that are presented as learning experiences ("It's not like we want to peer at them in the zoo, like animals, but the point of the tour is to experience their lives.").

This tour offers no such pretense. I'm sure that the "Bowery Boy and his 'Goil'" stopped "enjoying life in their characteristic way" and took the opportunity to hurl some epithets or perhaps a rock or two at the gawkers on this gigantic contraption.

Sometime when I have a lot more time on my hands, I might sit down with all of the points of interest to see if I can plot out the path that this tour took. Please don't think it will be any time soon.


No comments: