Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Three tickets

Three tickets for perhaps a streetcar or a train.





I have a feeling that this project is going to be more interactive, as I have more questions about these than answers.

The words in the center are place names in Germany and Austria, so these are obviously mass-transit related. I don't know that area well enough to tell if the places are close together or not.

This is the most complicated punch-card system I've ever seen, but I guess that the punch at the top indicates the value of these tickets, and the lack of other punches would mean that they went unused. I'm also not sure if the rip in the upper right corners are part of the fare taking, or just from being removed from the pad. The fact that the serial numbers are in sequence tells me that they were purchased at the same time.

No comments: